The Epilepsy Association of Calgary is a nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting individuals and families affected by epilepsy.
The Executive Director, Laura Dickson, recognized the need for a streamlined client management and reporting system to enhance front-line services and demonstrate the impact of their work to donors and funders.
- Fragmented Client Data: The turnover of front-line staff in human services often led to fragmented client information, impacting the continuity and efficiency of services provided.
- Cumbersome Reporting: The association needed to report on impact to donors and funders on the services delivered but their reliance on Excel spreadsheets and non-digitized files made reporting cumbersome and time-consuming.
Criteria For a New Software Solution
When considering new software solutions, Laura says, the Epilepsy Association of Calgary had the following key criteria:
- Ease of Use: The software needed to be user-friendly and intuitive for staff members with varying levels of technical expertise.
- Reporting Capabilities: The solution should offer robust reporting functionalities to facilitate accurate and timely reporting to donors and funders.
- Customizability: The software needed to be customizable to align with the specific reporting requirements of donors and funders.
Why They Choose Sumac
Laura says they chose Sumac because of positive references and feedback from other nonprofit organizations, like the Parkinson Association of Alberta.
Also, Sumac’s price point was well-suited to the association’s budget, and Sumac offered quick implementation, allowing the organization to get up and running quickly with the new software.
Unleashing the Benefits
Sumac has played a pivotal role in evolving the Epilepsy Association of Calgary’s client management practices, improving front-line case management, and enabling them to provide seamless services to individuals and families affected by epilepsy.
Other benefits, Laura says, include:
- Enhanced File Management: Sumac has improved the sharing and management of client files among support workers, ensuring a seamless service experience for clients.
- Efficient Case Management: Front-line staff now have access to a professional case management system, optimizing their efficiency and effectiveness in delivering services.
Next up: The organization is refining their reporting processes and aims to enhance their proficiency in creating standardized reports for donors and funders and hopes to assign a dedicated member of the team to helping manage tools and assets within an increasingly digitized operating environment.
The Epilepsy Association of Calgary recommends Sumac to other nonprofit organizations doing front line case management without hesitation. The software’s ease of use, affordable pricing, file management, and rapid implementation make it a valuable tool for enhancing client management and service delivery.